Skip to main content
ZCF

Home of cricket conversation, community and memory

Discussion

Where is Taibu??

Zimbabwe Cricket Forum 15 posts 96 views

Discussion

Legend
Cricinfo has also featured about the trial in the cricinfo Zimbabwean news.

Taibu's lawyer rubbishes assault claims

Link: http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/zimbabw ... 91316.html
ZCF Hall of Famer
There's so many conflicting stories coming out of ZC. You'd think if ZC were trying to cover this up they'd come up with something a little more believable than the luggage/too uncomfortable to use someone else's kit story.

Anyway, this version would make more sense.

Do we really want Taibu in the team now? We've known he's arrogant, but never before did it look like he was arrogant off the field (even though looking back there are signs of it). If he's not getting on with the rest of the team and has shown a tendency to be violent (worse still, violent with women) do we really want that sort of culture within the team?

Between Mutizwa, Chakabva and Coventry we also have talent behind the stumps, so that's not really an issue. And batting wise he has struggled lately, even to the extent where he probably doesn't deserve a spot ahead of Mutizwa and, incredibly, Matsikenyeri.
Veteran
Isnt it great that our two back up wicketkeepers in chakbva and mutitzwa now both have the best batting averages in the team, Both averaging over 40 :)

Ok so the runs were scored against kenya by both players, You've still gotta put the runs on the board, Dabengwa coudnt manage many against kenya and I dont understand the selectors persisting with him for all this time
ZCF Hall of Famer
Perfectly justifiable decision by ZC. He's a professional cricketer, not a primadonna...
ZCF Hall of Famer
Taibu Puzzled at Being Dropped PDF Print E-mail

Saturday, 14 March 2009 12:37

TROUBLED Zimbabwe cricket wicketkeeper and former captain Tatenda Taibu says he is baffled at being dropped from the team that left for India this week — the reason given being that he did not have his kit.

The team flew out Tuesday to take part in the Deodhar Trophy, a List A competition which started Saturday in Cuttack.

Taibu was replaced by Zimbabwe A wicketkeeper Regis Chakabva.

Zimbabwe team manager Givemore Makoni was quoted on the Zimbabwe Cricket website this week as saying Taibu left his kit in Bangladesh in January when the team stopped over in Kenya for a five-match ODI series.

“I’m actually going to India via Dhaka to collect that kit before I join the boys for the tournament which is next door neighbour to India,” Makoni said.

However Taibu told IndependentSport Thursday that he had been told Makoni was not likely to get the kit.

“It doesn’t make sense because if there is no chance of him getting the kit why is he going to Bangladesh?” Taibu said. “I was very puzzled to hear from Kenyon Ziehl, the chairman of selectors, that I had been dropped simply because of kit which, mind you, includes helmets, pads and bats.

“When we left Bangladesh I was told that the kit would be in Kenya. It never arrived. When we came back I was told that it would come to Zimbabwe but I later found it wasn’t true because the kit had not even been moved.”

He said he would have easily secured kit while in India.

“I (have) got so many friends in India. I made friends over the years with Indian players and kit was never going to be an issue. On arrival in India I would have simply called some people there who would have supplied me. When I played in the Indian Premier League last year I met with the guy who made kits for Saurav Ganguly (retired India international). I tried to explain that to Kenyon but he seemed not interested.”

Taibu, who is facing assault charges following an altercation with ZC finance general manager Esther Lupepe last October, said he would fight for his place in the team.

“I will wait to hear the truth because I think something is happening outside the kit issue,” he said. “If someone is trying to frustrate me they will not win because I will always be available to play for my country… I will not pull out. I will perform at my best, which I know I can do. I will remain professional and do things the way God wants me to do things.

“I’m very disappointed (at being left out) because as a professional I am available to play any game, be it first-class or international. Any game is welcome especially now when we don’t play the top teams often. The more you play the more you improve and by sitting at home I won’t take part in the evolution of the sport.”

Taibu did not play a part in Zimbabwe’s 5-0 whitewash of Kenya. At the time the kit issue was mentioned. But it later emerged Taibu’s non-appearance was largely due to a strained relationship with teammates and management.

Testifying as a witness in the Lupepe assault case last month, ZC board member and legal expert Wilson Manase revealed that while in Kenya, coach Walter Chawaguta and head selector Kenyon Ziehl asked him and ZC managing director Ozias Bvute to mediate in the conflict.

Manase told the court that Taibu’s behaviour was “affecting team spirit”.

He said the former skipper was not getting along with his fellow players and management.

BY ENOCK MUCHINJO
ZCF Hall of Famer

zimfan1 wrote:Taibu Puzzled at Being Dropped PDF Print E-mail

Saturday, 14 March 2009 12:37

TROUBLED Zimbabwe cricket wicketkeeper and former captain Tatenda Taibu says he is baffled at being dropped from the team that left for India this week — the reason given being that he did not have his kit.

The team flew out Tuesday to take part in the Deodhar Trophy, a List A competition which started Saturday in Cuttack.

Taibu was replaced by Zimbabwe A wicketkeeper Regis Chakabva.

Zimbabwe team manager Givemore Makoni was quoted on the Zimbabwe Cricket website this week as saying Taibu left his kit in Bangladesh in January when the team stopped over in Kenya for a five-match ODI series.

“I’m actually going to India via Dhaka to collect that kit before I join the boys for the tournament which is next door neighbour to India,” Makoni said.

However Taibu told IndependentSport Thursday that he had been told Makoni was not likely to get the kit.

“It doesn’t make sense because if there is no chance of him getting the kit why is he going to Bangladesh?” Taibu said. “I was very puzzled to hear from Kenyon Ziehl, the chairman of selectors, that I had been dropped simply because of kit which, mind you, includes helmets, pads and bats.

“When we left Bangladesh I was told that the kit would be in Kenya. It never arrived. When we came back I was told that it would come to Zimbabwe but I later found it wasn’t true because the kit had not even been moved.”

He said he would have easily secured kit while in India.

“I (have) got so many friends in India. I made friends over the years with Indian players and kit was never going to be an issue. On arrival in India I would have simply called some people there who would have supplied me. When I played in the Indian Premier League last year I met with the guy who made kits for Saurav Ganguly (retired India international). I tried to explain that to Kenyon but he seemed not interested.”

Taibu, who is facing assault charges following an altercation with ZC finance general manager Esther Lupepe last October, said he would fight for his place in the team.

“I will wait to hear the truth because I think something is happening outside the kit issue,” he said. “If someone is trying to frustrate me they will not win because I will always be available to play for my country… I will not pull out. I will perform at my best, which I know I can do. I will remain professional and do things the way God wants me to do things.

“I’m very disappointed (at being left out) because as a professional I am available to play any game, be it first-class or international. Any game is welcome especially now when we don’t play the top teams often. The more you play the more you improve and by sitting at home I won’t take part in the evolution of the sport.”

Taibu did not play a part in Zimbabwe’s 5-0 whitewash of Kenya. At the time the kit issue was mentioned. But it later emerged Taibu’s non-appearance was largely due to a strained relationship with teammates and management.

Testifying as a witness in the Lupepe assault case last month, ZC board member and legal expert Wilson Manase revealed that while in Kenya, coach Walter Chawaguta and head selector Kenyon Ziehl asked him and ZC managing director Ozias Bvute to mediate in the conflict.

Manase told the court that Taibu’s behaviour was “affecting team spirit”.

He said the former skipper was not getting along with his fellow players and management.

BY ENOCK MUCHINJO
ZCF Hall of Famer
great to see that he is commited to zimbabwe lets hope this whole thing sorts its self out
ZCF Hall of Famer

Train Driver wrote:http://www.cricinfo.com/zimbabwe/conten ... 95129.html

Not a lot you can say really .................. :?


Sure there is. If it was posted on Cricinfo, then you know the opposite is true. A theory which has been backed up, among others in the past, by Enock Muchinjo's latest article: http://www.thezimbabweindependent.com/i ... ng-dropped

The credibility of Cricinfo's Zimbabwe coverage in the last few years has taken an absolute hammering. There was once a time when you could trust their articles for accuracy and quality, unfortunately neither apply now.
Legend
I'm glad to see that Taibu is finally saying something about this mess

http://www.cricinfo.com/zimbabwe/conten ... 95285.html

It is on cricinfo of course, but then you can't have everything .....
Legend
Yes,I totally agree with it.

It's good to see that he has started scoring runs in the Logan Cup with 92 for Northerns.He is an experienced contender of the side and must focus on his game rather than anything else outside cricket.

Reply

Login to reply.